Sunday, June 12, 2005

 

Pesto Parmesan Pork Pinwheels

Vittles:
Varments: BY, SC, MS, BK, TK, DP, JZ(+J), SF, CP (with late entrances by MM, RS1, and TL)

So the original recipe was for a tampenade stuffed pork loin, but Robin and I are both averse to olives (the main ingredient in the tampenade), and we accidentally bought tenderloins instead of the loin roast. The much smaller tenderloin was of course much harder to stuff, so we didn't get the cool looking spirals. (Ok, we got a few.) It was also a little dry, and not overly flavorful. There, I said it. The pesto's flavor didn't come through well enough, and the pork never developed the crusty exterior that's so yummy.

However the carrots provoked violence at the table, they were that good. Sweet, herby, soft, yet still firm in the center, these carrots were damn tasty. Seriously, there was a fork fight over the last few (which were unfortunately already on SC's plate).

This was also probably my favorite salad yet. I had never tried the Champaigne vinegarette before, and it was nice, not as mouth-puckering as a red wine vinegarette, but still good and tangy. It set the fruit off perfectly. The cake turned out quite tasty as well. I was expecting more of a jam for the fruit center, but it was good as is. The fruit had cooked down a bit, but was still recognizeable, and the vanilla in the cake wasn't overpowering.

Next week, by request of our world-weary travelers, Mexican.


Comments:
I think you are being a little hard on the pork. The pieces I had weren't really dry. It might have been the pesto that helped for me. I feel cheated that I didn't get anymore carrots, but I wasn't about to brave the melee. The salad was OK, that's about it. I am not that fond of nuts, I guess. Can't wait for the mexican. Any ideas yet?
 
oops. Btw, that was DP.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?